The folk art exhibition organised by the Hungarian Society of Applied Arts in 1908 featured a number of items from Béla Lajta’s personal collection – three washing mallets among them.
The Hungarian Museum of Architecture acquired a set of ceramic fragments from Lajta’s widow in 1973. The collection included about thirty larger and slightly fewer small, 1-2-centimetre-wide pieces. It is not documented how Lajta got into possession of these items.
After he had graduated from the Budapest Technical University, Béla Lajta decided to follow the example of generations of past architects, seeking to deepen his knowledge in architectural history on a study trip to Italy.